The Orfalea Center for Global & International Studies at the University of California, Santa Barbara invites applications for the Public Education Academic Coordinator position. This is a part-time (67%), calendar-year position. The initial appointment will be through June 30, 2022.
Although this position is described as a 67% position, we encourage anyone who applies for this position to also apply for our Lecturer position at UCSB in the Global Studies Department that would cover the additional 33% workload, to add up to a total of 100% salary. The lecturer position can be found here https://recruit.ap.ucsb.edu/JPF01897 and would be to teach one undergrad seminar each quarter on topics related to global studies research and education abroad.
The Public Education Academic Coordinator is supervised by the Orfalea Center Director to whom this appointee reports directly and will liaise with ISBER (the Institute for Social, Behavioral and Economic Research), the Office of Research, the offices of the Deans of the Social Sciences and Humanities & Fine Arts, the Undergraduate Dean, and EAP. The position will build bridges across campus while also engaging with external partners in academia and among broader publics, by fulling the follow responsibilities:
Research Administrative Support:
- provide logistical and editorial support for the expansion and integration of international, area, and global studies on the UC Santa Barbara campus by creating a platform for global circulation of ideas generated by UCSB faculty, students and their global research partners.
- manage the front end of preparing and submitting extramural, intramural, and collaborative research grants; support to faculty and graduate student grant writing, in coordination with Office of Research and ISBER.
- serve as a primary liaison to Development Office, donors, foundations, and development specialists.
Public Education and Publications:
- sustain and leverage the Mellichamp Global Dynamics Initiative’s groundbreaking online journal, “global-e,” which engages a broad range of scholars, publics, policymakers and communities around the world. Global-e brings together top-level researchers producing ideas and findings and delivering these to publics and circulating beyond the typical channels of academic publication.
- manage a public-access database and digital archive of conferences, projects, publications, and new global ideas.
- coordinate web-designers to update and maintain webpages for Orfalea and to facilitate public education goals.
This position requires demonstrated superior professional ability, outstanding accomplishment in job-related activities.
The University is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the academic community through research, teaching, and service as appropriate to the position.