I've read the information on the main undergraduate page, and I'm interested in changing my major to Global Studies! Where do I start?
Five main steps (and see the resources section, below, for links):
- Run your Major and GE Progress Check on GOLD (under the Progress tab) for the "Pre-Global Studies" major and check the major requirements sheet (see below) to see what courses and requirements you have and have not completed
- Check out the "changing your major," "foreign language requirement FAQ," and "Pre-Global Studies/Application to the full major" videos on our YouTube channel (you are also welcome to explore other videos on the channel at this time; these are the three we'd recommend you familiarize yourself with first!)
- Decide if you want to book an appointment (longer questions/more complex situations) or attend drop-in advising (quick questions and clarifications) to discuss your change of major.
- Submit the paperwork to initiate the change of major:
- Simple major changes (one major to Pre-Global Studies)? Fill out the Google Form linked below.
- Adding Pre-Global Studies as a second major? Email a change of major petition and memo of understanding form to firstname.lastname@example.org (or bring these items in to our office - when campus is open, you can also get copies of this form from our office). Do not fill out the linked Google Form - that's for simple major changes only.
- Watch GOLD periodically over the following several weeks (it can take 2-6 weeks for all the offices involved to approve your change of major). Make schedule plans for the following quarter accordingly if you are changing your major shortly before your registration passes - plan to work on other degree requirements or parts of the Global Studies major sheet that do not require being an already-declared major!
Tools you will find helpful with the above steps:
- Visit our YouTube channel for refreshers on:
- Reading your Major and GE Progress Check on GOLD
- The foreign language requirement
- The Pre-Global Studies major to the full major application process
- Major requirements sheet + suggested plan of study + a Global Studies major course planning tool for you to fill out if desired
- For simple major changes (not double major adds, and not Pre-Global Studies students applying to the full major!), use this Google Form. We check it once weekly, typically on Fridays, and process the change of major from there. Watch your UCSB email - you're looking for an email from a service called Docusign
- For double majors, you'll complete (electronically, or print out and fill out, then scan and email, or bring in a printed copy):
- Change of Major petition (you're changing your major FROM your current major TO your current major PLUS Pre-Global Studies, current academic year for your catalog year)
- Memo of Understanding for the Double Major (watch our YouTube video on changing your major if you need help with this, or book an appointment)
- Book an appointment (great for longer questions) with us or visit us in drop-ins (best for shorter questions and clarifications after you've done your initial research) by returning to our main Undergraduate Advising page
I'm in the Pre-Global Studies major - what do I need to know next?
- See our Major Requirements & Course Planning page for more details on pre-major requirements and the process you'll follow to apply to the full major.